Resources & Links
The pet resources featured on this page provide useful information on a variety of topics related to veterinary medicine and pet health care. We will update this page frequently. Please feel free to submit your suggestions for links to veterinary-related resources that you would like to share with other pet owners.
Adopt a Pet
We offer a free/complimentary first exam for any pet recently adopted with documentation! This only covers the cost of the exam (not for diagnostics/treatments/medications).
- The Humane Society of Loudoun County
- The Feline Foundation of Greater Washington
- Friends of Homeless Animals
- Lost Dog and Cat Rescue Foundation
Animal Breed Associations
- American Kennel Club
- Cat Fanciers' Association: This website features lots of photos as well as information on cat breeds, cat care, upcoming cat shows, and much more.
Animal Care Guides
- Health and Safety Tips for Your New Puppy: This is a nice starter guide of things that you should consider after getting a puppy.
Feline Care Tips for Cat Owners
- American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
- Best Friends Animal Sanctuary
- The Humane Society of the United States
- North Shore Animal League America
Pet Grief Support
- Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement: We have all experienced the pain of losing a pet. The Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement (APLB) has set up this site to support pet owners during this most difficult time. You will find inspirational stories, grief counseling resources, a hotline number, and many other resources.
- Rainbow Bridge: Anyone who has ever lost a beloved pet should visit this site. It is a terrific tribute to our lost family members.
- Tufts University Pet Loss Support Hotline
Pet Health & Wellness
- American Heartworm Society: Everything you ever needed to know about heartworm disease can be found here.
Pet Health Articles
- Myth vs. Fact: The Truth About Ticks
- Top 5 Complications of Flea & Tick Infestations
- How to Recognize and Treat Anxious Dogs and Cats
- Training Your Dog - Aggression and Biting Prevention
Pet Safety and Poison Control
- ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center: This website provides safety tips and resources on poisonous pet hazards, as well as a 24-hour hotline for animal poison-related emergencies.
- Plants Toxic to Animals: The Veterinary Medicine Library at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) has provided lot of valuable information about toxic plants. Discover which plants may be harmful to your beloved pet. You can search under common name or scientific name of the plant.
- USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service: The USDA maintains this website with information on a variety of animal health related topics, including the latest news on bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE, also known as mad cow disease), foot and mouth disease (FMD), and animal welfare regulations.
- West Nile Virus: The Division of Vector-Borne Diseases (DVBD), a part of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), has the latest information on the spread of West Nile Virus in the United States, as well as information on disease transmission, symptoms, etc.
Pet Services & Consultants
- Dog Training and Behavior Problems: Founded by Brian Kilcommons and Sharon Wilson, best-selling authors and recognized experts on animal training and behavior, this site is a terrific resource for advice on a variety of behavioral problems. If you want to learn more about feline house soiling, barking dogs, aggression, or any other behavioral problem, check out this website.
- American Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP): The AAFP is like the American Medical Association for cat doctors. You’ll find a lot of information on feline health.
- VeterinaryPartner.com: Learn more about your pet’s health issue at Veterinary Partner.com, which provides information from VIN veterinarians and experts.